Tree Preservation Orders

Any works to trees within a Conservation area or to trees covered by a Tree Preservation Order (TPO) require consent. 

It is an offence to cut down, top, lop, uproot, damage or destroy any protected tree(s) without first obtaining approval. If you wish to undertake felling or any form of pruning to any protected tree you need to complete and submit a treeworks application form.

The process can take approximately eight weeks from the receipt of your application until a decision is made. 

How do I find out if there’s a TPO on a tree?

Contact Planning Services for further information about the TPO process or to find out about a specific TPO.

You can get copies of Tree Preservation orders from Legal Services for £25 each.  If you know the TPO reference, please call 0151 233 0468. 

If you don't know the TPO reference, please contact Planning Services in the first instance.

High hedges

Hedges are not protected by TPOs or Conservation Areas, however, if you are experiencing problems with a neighbour’s high hedge, please read our high hedges advice note.

To make a formal complaint about a hedge, please download and return the form below along with the non-returnable fee of £400 (payable by a cheque made out to ‘Liverpool City Council’), to the address on the form, or hand it in at any of our One Stop Shops

Ash Dieback Disease

There are currently no suspected or confirmed cases of this disease in Liverpool. For further information visit the Forestry Commission website, or call their helpline on 08459 33 55 77. The helpline is open seven days a week from 8am to 6pm.