Play streets

Play streets are resident-led temporary road closures to allow children to play.

You can apply for a one-off play street event or a regular road closure to stop through-traffic in the street.

These events must be:

  • Organised and funded by the applicant.
  • No longer than three hours in duration.
  • Covered by Public Liability Insurance paid for by the organiser.
  • Agreed by the residents of the street before you apply.

How much?

We won’t charge for a road closure notice for any regular or one-off play street closures held between the end of April 2018 and end of April 2019 if you apply by 30th April 2018, but you must organise and pay for street signs and barriers.

Applications after that date will incur a charge of £2,488.50p.

Before you apply

You must talk to your neighbours about the idea to make sure you have support for the closure and have tried to address any concerns they may have about it.

If any objections to your application are raised we will work with you to find a solution. Local councillors will make the final decision.

How to apply

Once you have the backing of your neighbours you can apply.

Email both completed forms to or post them to: Ian Cuthbert, Traffic Management, Liverpool City Council, Cunard Building, Water Street, Liverpool, L3 1AH.

Applications for any closure between the end of April 2018 and end of April 2019 must be received by 30th April 2018 for us to guarantee no charge for a road closure notice, if successful.

Further information

The national organisation Playing Out offers free support and resources for those interested in organising play street sessions.