A57 STEP Scheme
Start date: May 2016
End date: May 2017
The A57 STEP Scheme focused on Kensington, Prescot Road and East Prescot Road and was designed to improve traffic signals along the route, reduce journey times for all users and create a better link between Liverpool city centre, Knowsley and St Helens.
Growth Deals provided £1.2m funding for the scheme.
As part of the scheme the following improvements were made:
- New pedestrian crossing signals were installed which detect pedestrians’ movements and allow traffic to flow immediately after they have crossed the road.
- New cheaper to power and maintain LED traffic lights were installed.
- Remote technology which controls traffic lights on the route were integrated with and Merseytravel’s bus tracking system to change the phasing of the traffic lights and get buses to their destinations faster.
- 300 street lights on this route were upgraded to LED quality.
- Traffic and road markings were made clearer so that waiting restrictions are more consistent. They will be enforced if they are continually ignored.