Council Tax Support: How to claim
On 1 April 2013 Council Tax Benefit was abolished by the government and it has been replaced by a local scheme called Council Tax Support.
Under the new scheme, working age households will pay at least 8.5 per cent of their Council Tax bill. This includes working age claimants who, before the new scheme, may have had all their Council Tax met as they are in receipt of benefits such as:
- Income Support.
- Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based).
- Employment Support Allowance (Income Related).
Pension age customers will not be affected by this reduction and will receive a similar level of support as they received under the Council Tax Benefit scheme. The current pension age is 62 + year of age for both men and women.
Who can claim?
To qualify for Council Tax Support, you must be:
- On a low income.
- The person responsible for paying the Council Tax.
Council Tax Support is calculated in the same way as Council Tax Benefit by looking at your income, savings and household circumstances.
How to apply
Before you apply online please have the following to hand:
- A National Insurance number for you (and your partner if you have one).
- The full names and dates of birth of everyone living in your household.
- Your landlord’s name, the amount of rent you pay and any charges included in your rent, e.g. water or electricity.
- Your household income, savings, investments and expenses – including items such as childcare costs and private pension contributions.
The first few questions asked on the form allow for an online estimate of how much Council Tax Support you could receive. You will be notified of your actual award when your claim has been processed. You can also use this form to claim Housing Benefit.
- Once you have filled in the form, and before you submit your application, you will be given a list of all the evidence you need to keep which supports your claim. Please print or copy and keep this list – it’s important that you have a record of it.
- You only need to provide proof of identity if we write to you and ask for it.
If you want to apply for Free School Meals please use our Free School Meals online application form.
How do I log back into my form?
If you have saved your form and want to log back in, please use the button below. You will need to have your reference number and your password to access your form.
How do I claim Second Adult Rebate?
Second Adult Rebate is for single people who pay Council Tax but share their home with another adult aged 18 or over who is on a low income and does not pay rent.
If you fit these circumstances, you will need to fill in a Council Tax Support application form using the button above and we will work out what help we can give you.
What do I do if I think this decision is wrong?
If you want to know more about this decision or think it is wrong, you must tell us within one month of this letter or we may not be able to help.
You can either:
- Tell us what information is wrong and ask us to look at the decision again.
- Ask for an explanation.
If you are still not satisfied you can appeal the decision.
Council Tax Support Appeals
If you are still not satisfied with the outcome or the reasons for a decision or if a response has not been given from the Benefits Service within two months you can appeal in writing to - The Valuation Tribunal, Hepworth House, 2 Trafford Court, Doncaster, Yorkshire, DN1 1PN.
Tell us about a change in circumstance
If you are in the process of applying for Council Tax Support, or already receive it, we need to know if your circumstances change straight away as it could affect what you are entitled to. You can now tell us by phoning us. Find out more.
Get Email alerts about Council Tax