Communities and safety

People seeking sanctuary - how you can help

We are committed to welcoming and supporting refugees, people seeking asylum and vulnerable migrants to Liverpool and helping them to rebuild their lives from the day they arrive.

We have delivered resettlement programmes since 2016, welcoming families from Syria, Eritrea and Afghanistan.

Crisis in Ukraine

Offers of accommodation

View information on the government’s current offer for Ukrainians seeking sanctuary in the UK on GOV.UK.

The government has launched its Homes for Ukraine site for those wanting to host a refugee. The scheme will match people, charities, businesses and community groups to Ukrainians who do not have family ties to the UK.

See GOV.UK for frequently asked questions about the Homes for Ukraine scheme.

See our Homes for Ukraine sponsorship scheme privacy notice to find out more about how we share and use personal data.

You can also find out more about what you can do to help on GOV.UK or support AirBnB’s campaign by donating money or offering your own Airbnb as a safe place to stay.

Welcome payment

Ukrainian refugees sponsored through the Homes For Ukraine Scheme in Liverpool are entitled to a £200 welcome payment. Email for more information.


You can donate money to Disasters Emergency Committee's Ukraine humanitarian appeal and the UK government will match pound-for-pound up to £25m donated.

You can also view the Red Cross information on how to support emergency appeals.

Do you have a spare room? 

Resettled refugees coming to the UK are allocated their own property. However, the offer of a room is very much needed for other refugees, such as those who have recently been granted status and are waiting for more permanent accommodation, or people who have been refused asylum.

If you have spare room, you can host a refugee via a charity called Refugees At Home. Find out more at or apply online at

Are you interested in letting a property?

If you are looking to let your property please email who help newly granted refugees secure permanent accommodation. The team is especially interested in hearing from you if you have a 4+ bedroom property available. 

You can also contact Serco who provide the asylum accommodation in the North West on behalf of the Home Office. They are regularly looking for homes to rent so they can house people seeking sanctuary. Email  

Offers of work and training

If you are an employer and have employment or work experience opportunities for refugees please contact liverpoolinwork​

Consular services for British overseas nationals 

Contact the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office for help and advice 24/7 from anywhere in the world on 0207 008 5000, or find your nearest British embassy, High Commission or Consulate.

Find out more about British Embassies, High Commission and consulates on GOV.UK