Compensation claims

Damage only claims

If your property or vehicle has been damaged your claim must tell us why you hold Liverpool City Council responsible for the incident. 

If you're a solicitor acting on a client's behalf, please note that Liverpool City Council is not registered on the personal injury portal.

You must send a CPR compliant letter of claim or CNF1 to or a hard copy to Liverpool City Council, Pre-Proceedings Unit, Cunard Building, Water Street, Liverpool, L3 1AH.

Information you need to provide

You'll be asked to provide the following information as part of your claim:

Personal details

Name, address and contact number.

Incident details

Time, date and exact location using static landmarks, such as house numbers or road junctions and your direction of travel.

Describe what happened and include photographs of the defect or cause of the damage and the surrounding area to help identify the exact location. You must also confirm or deny any previous knowledge of the defect.

Description of damage and repairs needed

Tell us what damage was sustained and how exactly it was caused. 

You must include photographs of the damage and provide a full copy of the invoice for repairs, or two estimates if they have not yet been carried out.

If the damage is to a relatively new tyre please provide a copy of the original receipt or invoice, or we may have to make a deduction for wear and tear if we subsequently accept responsibility.

Vehicle-related claims

You must include a copy of your MOT certificate if the car is over three years old, including any advisory notice at the time of the test.

We’ll also need a copy of the most recent service invoice or schedule. This is required where mechanical damage is alleged to suspension or drive train components.

We’ll need to see proof that the driver of the vehicle was appropriately insured to drive the vehicle at the time of the incident.

How to submit your claim

You can submit your claim online, and attach supporting evidence such as photographs and other documentation we may request. Please ensure that the total size of any uploads does not exceed 15mb. You can post your evidence if preferred - you'll receive instructions how to do this once you've submitted the claim form.

Read our privacy notice which tells you how we use your data.

Submit your claim online

Liverpool City Council is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you provide for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may share this information with other public bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds, in particular insurance companies and Merseyside Police. The information will be used as part of the National Fraud Initiative data matching exercise.