Housing Benefit overpayments

Please contact us straight away if:

  • you think you’ve been overpaid
  • you get a letter from us which says you have been overpaid
  • your circumstances change and this is likely to affect a benefit

Paying money back

You will need to pay money back if the overpayment was your fault. For example:

  • the information you gave us was wrong
  • you did not tell us about a change in your circumstances
  • you should have noticed an overpayment, for example you received 2 payments instead of one

How to pay back an overpayment

If you have received a letter or need to pay back overpaid benefit, you can pay online below.  You’ll need your 10 digit Housing Benefit invoice number starting with 77.

Pay online