Licensed chaperones

Who needs a chaperone?

All children must be chaperoned by a parent, legal guardian or a local authority licensed chaperone when working as a performer. If a child is not being accompanied by a parent, a local authority licensed chaperone must be named before a child entertainment licence can be granted.

Other relatives can't chaperone a child unless they are licensed as a chaperone by the council where they live. 

What does a chaperone do?

A chaperone makes sure that a child does not work without breaks, that education is provided if needed and that their safety, comfort and welfare is taken care of. 

Find a licensed chaperone

Please contact us for a list of our freelance licensed chaperones. 

Apply for a chaperone licence

If you live in Liverpool and are over 18 you can apply to us for a chaperone licence.

Complete the form and email it to child​employment​&performance​ along with two references. 

Referees must not be related to you, and at least one should be able to comment on your experience of working with children.

What happens next?

Once your application has been received, we’ll write to you and set up an interview. 

What do I need to take to the interview?

Please bring all of the following:

  • If you have a current enhanced DBS certificate, issued within the last two years, please bring this to the interview. If you don’t have one you will need to complete a form and pay for the check at this stage. There is no charge for volunteers.
  • Your National Insurance number plus three pieces of ID evidence examples below .
  • Birth certificate.
  • Driving licence.
  • A utility bill issued within the last three months - a mobile phone bill will not be accepted.
  • A passport-sized photo.

What happens if I am accepted?

After interview, you will be invited on a half-day 'Safeguarding for Chaperones' course.

When you complete the course, we’ll give you your chaperone licence which you must carry with when you chaperone children.   

Renew a chaperone licence

For renewals, an updated Enhanced DBS Certificate and passport-sized photograph is required.

Complete the form and email it to child​employment​&performance​