Plan making in Liverpool
Liverpool Local Plan
All local planning authorities are required to prepare a local plan to guide the long term, strategic spatial development of their area. The Liverpool Local Plan includes both a document (the 'written statement') and a policies map. Together they make up the Liverpool Local Plan which will, once adopted, replace the Unitary Development Plan.
The Liverpool Local Plan has been submitted for examination. View the Notice of Submission of the Local Plan for Examination. For more details please see our Local Plan Examination page.
The Local Plan provides a long-term spatial vision, strategic priorities and policies for future development in the city over the next 15 to 20 years, specifically with regard to the quantity and location of new homes, employment provision, shops, facilities and other services, transport and other infrastructure provision, climate change mitigation and adaption and the conservation and enhancement of the natural and historic environment. To achieve this it sets out:
- Development management policies that guide the delivery of development in the city and will be used to determine planning applications. These policies provide detailed advice to developers and others on the scale, design, accessibility, sustainability etc of proposals;
- Site allocations for residential, employment, retail and other land uses across the city, shown on the policies map; and
- Designations where specific policies apply, such as for district and local centres or open spaces which are also shown on the policies map.
During the preparation of the Local Plan the council has carried out consultations in 2013/14, 2016 and 2018. Summary details about these previous stages are given below. The Liverpool Local Plan has now been submitted to the Planning Inspectorate for the purposes of independent examination.
2018 Pre-Submission Draft of the Liverpool Local Plan
We consulted on the 2018 Pre-Submission Draft of the Liverpool Local Plan between January 26th and 9th March 2018. View the supporting documents and the representations received.
You can also download a copy of the 2018 Pre-Submission Draft Local Plan, associated policies and maps below.
- 2018 Pre Submission Draft Local Plan
- 2018 Pre Submission Draft Local Plan Inset Map
- 2018 Pre Submission Draft Local Plan Policies Map
2016 Informal Draft Liverpool Local Plan
In 2016 the Informal Draft Liverpool Local Plan was approved for public consultation by the City Council’s Cabinet on 19th August 2016. Public consultation then took place between 16th September 2016 and 11th November 2016. This followed on from the Initial Local Plan Regulation 18 consultation which took place in 2014.
View the 2016 Informal Draft Liverpool Local Plan online, along with the representations that we have received about it and supporting.
Alternatively, you can download the 2016 Informal Draft Local Plan.
Local Plan consultation database
We try to contact as many people and organisations about The Local Plan by email and we already have an extensive contacts list. If you wish to be contacted about future Local Plan consultations we strongly encourage you to register your details on our contacts database. We will email or post information out to everyone who is registered. Please be aware that representations made about or to the Local Plan cannot be anonymous. In order to deal with comments the council will need to maintain contact with anyone who has expressed an interest in the Local Plan. Contact details and private information will not be made public.
If you are registered you can comment directly on to the precise chapter, section, policy or table of the Local Plan that interests you, and you can make as many comments as you like during the consultation period. You will also be able to view your comments and those made by everyone else after the consultation period has ended.
You can also keep up to date with the documents we are producing on the Local Development Scheme.
Initial Local Plan Regulation 18 consultation documents
The Liverpool Local Plan initial consultation took place between December 2013 and April 2014. The purpose of that consultation was to notify key stakeholders and interested parties of the council's intention to prepare a Local Plan and to encourage representations on what it should contain.
- Shaping the Liverpool Local Plan
- Local Plan Sustainability Appraisal Scoping Report
- Local Plan Sustainability Appraisal Scoping Report Appendices
Core strategy archive documents
Before the City Council resolved to prepare the Liverpool Local Plan it was preparing the Core Strategy. The Local Plan draws on, and updates, the approach and the evidence base behind the Core Strategy which is provided below for reference purposes.
Pre-Submission Draft 2012
- Core Strategy Submission Draft 2012
- Liverpool Core Strategy Submission Draft Habitats Regulations Assessment
- Sustainability Appraisal Report Appendices
- Sustainability Appraisal Report Non Technical Summary
- The Core Strategy Submission Draft Consultation Statement
- The Core Strategy Submission Draft Equalities Impact Assessment
- The Core Strategy Submission Draft Health Impact Assessment
- The Core Strategy Submission Draft Infrastructure Delivery Plan
- The Core Strategy Submission Draft Sustainability Appraisal Main Report
Revised Preferred Options (2010)
- Core Strategy Revised Preferred Options Habitat Regulation Assessment Screening Statement Nov 2009
- Core Strategy Revised Preferred Options
- Core Strategy Revised Preferred Options Sustainability Appraisal
Preferred Options (2008)
- Core Strategy Preferred Options Report
- Core Strategy Preferred Options Sustainability Appraisal Report
Issues and Options (2005)
- Core Strategy DPD Preliminary Sustainability Appraisal (Summary Report)
- Core Strategy DPD Preliminary Sustainability Appraisal (Technical Appendix)
- Core Strategy DPD Scoping Report (Executive Summary)
- Core Strategy DPD Scoping Report (Full document)
- Core Strategy Issues and Options Paper Section 1
- Core Strategy Issues and Options Paper Section 2 (Responses booklet)
Evidence, Monitoring and Information
In the process of preparing the Local Plan we have collected a wide range of information and commissioned a number of studies (also known as the 'evidence base'). Related evidence and supporting documents can be found on the evidence, monitoring and information page.