Plan making in Liverpool
About this SPD
The Ropewalks Supplementary Planning Document was adopted by the council in December 2005. It was produced with Liverpool Vision and consultants, Jones Lang LaSalle/BDP and expands upon the advice in the Ropewalks Phase 2 Action Plan.
The SPD is supplementary to the Unitary Development Plan (UDP). It provides more detailed guidance for new development in the Ropewalks area of the city centre. It will be used with the UDP for making decisions on planning applications in the area.
The SPD will:
- Ensure that development proposals are brought forward in a coordinated way.
- Be used as an enhancement statement for the Duke Street Conservation Area.
- Be the local vision document for this part of the World Heritage Site.
- Provide greater clarity to applicants, architects and developers on the council’s position about the appropriate form, scale, use and design of new development in Ropewalks.
- Be used as a promotional tool to attract new investment into the area.
The SPD is accompanied by a consultation and sustainability statement.