In 1207, King John’s Royal Charter established Liverpool as a city. One of the earliest markets known as the 'butchers shambles' was held at White Cross at the junction of Old Hall Street and Chapel Street, part of Exchange Flag.
A fish market was also held next to St Nicholas churchyard and a third market was based on the site of the old castle at Derby Square.
Since 1709 during the reign of Queen Anne Definite Market rights were granted to Liverpool City Council, and in 1773 the council became the sole market authority across the city and has been ever since.
Did you know?
- Liverpool was the first city to introduce a markets' police force in 1860.
- Garston Market was set up in 1922. Many of its original traders were ex-servicemen who had fought in First World War.
- The original St Johns Market was the first covered general food market in the city. It opened in March 1822 before closing to make wake way for the current St John's Market and shopping centre in the 1960s.