Parking, roads and travel

On-street electric vehicle charging points

In 2023, 300 on-street electric vehicle (EV) charge points were introduced in Liverpool boosting the number to 450. The council has also committed to establishing a total of 2,000 EV points in the city by 2027.

With the locations chosen by residents and businesses, the rollout of the points by ubitricity aims of ensure Liverpool has the third-largest public charging network in the UK after London and Coventry.

TheOn-street Residential Chargepoint Scheme is paid for with a government grant that covers 60% of the cost, and the remaining 40% is funded by ubitricity.

How do on-street EV charge points work?

The new charge points are installed directly into existing street lamp-posts. They charge at a speed of up to 5kW and are available to use 24 hours a day allowing residents to easily charge hybrid and electric vehicles on the street where they live.

Where can I find an EV charge point?

EV charge points in Liverpool can be viewed on ZapMap live which also shows whether they are in use, available or faulty. You can also download the Zap Map app via the links below.

App storeGoogle Play

How much?

Costs for charging can vary but it will be given before you enter your payment details. Ubitricity has two tariffs — peak between 16:00-19:00 and off peak for the rest of the day. Ubitricity's driver FAQs give more information about payment and charges.

How do I pay?

Scan the QR code on the charge point and pay with a credit card, debit card, Apple Pay or Google Pay. You will be prompted agree the tariff before you pay. Charging can start when payment has been made and continue as long as the vehicle is plugged into the socket.

Further information

If you have any questions about on-street EV charge points in Liverpool, their availability and how to request one, please contact us.

How to report misuse of EV charging cables

Electric vehicle owners must use designated public charge points.

Running a cable across the pavement to charge an electric vehicle is prohibited. Even if it is covered by a cable protector it can present a real danger to pedestrians. 

Report misuse of electric vehicle charging cables