Planning permission for houses in multiple occupation

All houses in multiple occupation (HMO) anywhere in Liverpool for seven or more people are subject to planning permission. You must also find out if your HMO needs a valid licence.

From 17th June 2021, planning permission must also be gained for properties being converted into an HMO for three or more people in 11 of the city's Wards. 

HMOs for three or more people in certain Wards

If you want to convert a property into an house in multiple occupation (HMO) for three or more people, you now need planning permission in the 11 Wards listed below. In areas where HMOs make up more that ten percent of the properties, a planning application will be refused.

The change in law is in response to an Article 4 directive. Premises in use as HMOs for three or more people in these Wards before 17th June 2021 are not affected by this change.

You must also find out if your HMO needs a valid licence.

Which Wards are affected?

  • Anfield
  • Central
  • Greenbank
  • Kensington And Fairfield
  • Picton
  • Princess Park
  • Riverside
  • Tuebrook and Stoneycroft
  • Wavertree

In addition, part of the following Wards are included:

  • Kirkdale Ward bounded by Leeds Street, Vauxhall Road, Ford Street and Scotland Road
  • Church Ward bounded by Heathfield Road, Queens Drive, Allerton Road and Rutherford Road

What Ward is my property in?

Use our postcode look-up to find out what Ward your property is in.

I need proof that I do not need to apply

If your HMO for three or more people in one of the Wards listed above was converted before 17th June 2021, and you need proof that you do not need to apply for planning permission, you can apply for a lawful development certificate.