Planning and building control

Retrospective planning permission

If you’ve had work done on your property without permission and you have committed a planning breach, you'll need to submit a retrospective planning application for the work that you have already done.

The planning application will be treated in the usual way, and it does not mean that permission will be granted.

Before you apply we advise you to read the information on the following pages:

Then read the guidance on how to submit a planning application.

If we refuse planning permission we can issue an enforcement notice which means you’ll have to put things back the way they were.

If you think that your project is covered by permitted development and does not require planning permission, you can apply for a lawful development certificate.