Adult services and health privacy notice

Who is the data controller for the information I provide?

The Adult Services and Health directorate works under the legal obligations and conditions of both the Principles of the Data Protection Act (DPA) and the Articles of the new European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Liverpool City Council is the data controller of your information.

What is the legal process for collecting and processing your data?

Article 6 of the GDPR allows Liverpool Adult Services to process your information as legal obligations specifically The Care Act 2014 and also undertakes official public tasks.

Previously we have relied on obtaining consent in order to provide you with social care and health services, although we understand that in many cases there was an expectation on your behalf that the organisations involved would automatically do this.

Article 9 of the GDPR now allows us to do this without consent but only in order to provide you with adult social care services. Whilst this will also cover preventative and sign posting services we will always contact you for your explicit consent if we require your information to be used outside this scope.

Information we may collect

We may collect all information required in order to fulfil our obligations under The Care Act for the provision of adult social care and safeguarding.

Do I have to provide this information, and what will happen if I don’t?

No, but the council has legal obligations it is required to carry out in terms of safeguarding.

It is very important that Adult Services and Health is able to plan and realign its delivery of services to meet the needs of Liverpool’s vulnerable adults. To do this, we carefully use the information we collect about how services are delivered and who is using these services. The council has a number of statutory and legal obligations including the safeguarding of adults and the statutory functions of public health which is now part of the council’s responsibility.

The National Data Opt-Out Policy allows patients/service users to prevent their confidential information being used outside the provisions of direct care, for example in research and planning. If you  require your records to reflect this choice please contact information​​​governance​​​adult​​​services​​​

Who will your information be shared with?

Even though we are required to share your information with authorised partner organisations, we will ensure this is done in a secure manner, and the information is proportionate in order for them deliver your services.

These partners will also include organisations that we commission to provide care and support, such as home care agencies or care homes. You will hear these called providers. As they are delivering care on our behalf these organisations must keep your details safe and secure, and as the data controller we will make sure that they comply with our required information sharing standards and protocols.

In certain cases, such as safeguarding inquiries and criminal investigations we are legally obliged to provide information to the police. However we have procedures in place that allows this to be carried out in a secure and confidential manner.

How long will you keep this information for and why?

We make every effort to keep all the personal data it holds secure, whether held electronically or as paper copies. We also ensure that only members of staff with a legitimate reason to access your information have permission to do so.

Please see What we do with your data for the council's full retention schedule.

How will my information be stored?

All core information is securely stored within our adult social care case file system. Other information may be housed in protected electronic environments.   

Source of the data if we are recipient and hold it for others

Not applicable.

Will this information be used to take automated decisions about me?


Will my data be transferred abroad?


What rights do I have when it comes to my data?

You have a number of rights that are set out on the How to access your data page of this section.

Where can I get advice?

View our Help and advice page for more information.