Building Control privacy notice

Who is the data controller for the information I provide?

The information that you provide will be processed by Liverpool City Council, which is the data controller for the purposes of the Data Protection Act and GDPR.

Why we collect your data

The information that you provide will be used to deal with your building control service request and any feedback you give on the service provided.

What is the legal basis for collecting and processing this data?

Building legislation - The Building Act 1984 and The Building Regulations 2010 as amended -  together with the national Building Control Performance Standards, requires Liverpool City Council to make details and keep a record of applicants and proposals for the purposes of the building regulations.

The information we may collect

The following information is collected:

  • Building regulations applications, initial notices and final certificates.
  • Demolition notices.
  • Complaints and enquiries relating to building work, dangerous buildings and buildings open to access.
  • Work done by competent persons.

Do I have to provide this information, and what will happen if I don’t?

If you use the council’s building control service then you need to provide the information requested.

Who will your information be shared with?

Building regulation applications are closed applications, no personal data is uploaded to the Liverpool City Council website.

Records of site inspections for building work that has been issued with a final/completion certificate, or where an initial notice was cancelled, will be provided to the building owner where a request is made for them in writing within 15 years of the final/completion certificate being issued or the initial notice cancelled. However, such parts of these records that contain personal information will be redacted.

Building Control is part of the council's Planning Service and details of your application will be shared with them - see the Planning Service privacy notice.

Any application that relates to houses in multiple occupation (HMO) will also be shared with the council's Private Sector Housing Service - see the Private Sector Housing privacy notice.

Your information will not be shared further unless there are legal reasons to do so.

How long will you keep this information for?

We will keep the personal data provided for 15 years after completion of your project. However, non-personal data relating to the building will be kept indefinitely.

How will my information be stored?

Your information will be stored electronically and/or in paper format depending on the format it was provided in and the ease of concerting this information into an electronic format.

Source of the data if we are recipient and hold it for others

As part of the council’s statutory function records are kept of:

  • Initial Notices and Final Certificates from other Building Control bodies.
  • Work undertaken through the competent persons scheme. The competent person body periodically provides the council with details of such work.

Will this information be used to take automated decisions about me?


Will my data be transferred abroad?


What rights do I have when it comes to my data?

You have a number of rights that are set out on the How to access your data page of this section.

Where can I get advice?

View our Help and advice page for more information.