Highways and transportation service privacy notice

Who is the data controller for the information I provide?

Liverpool City Council is the data controller for the information that you provide. Liverpool City Council’s Highways and Transportation Service is committed to protecting your personal information.

Why we are collecting your data

It is important that Liverpool City Council is able to plan and align its delivery of services to meet the needs of residents businesses and visitors. The Highways and Transportation service will collect data that will enable us to respond to complaints, enquiries, compliments and requests for services including:

  • applications for Temporary Traffic Regulation Orders
  • applications for permits or highway licences
  • applications for vehicular dropped crossings
  • complaints about EV charging cables
  • requests for EV charging points

In addition, we will collect personal data when processing third-party compensation claims.

What is the legal basis for collecting and processing this data?

The Highways Act 1980 and primarily the Traffic Management Act 2004 place statutory network management duty responsibility on highway authorities to maintain the highway and ensure the expeditious movement of traffic within its own and neighbouring authorities. As part of undertaking these duties we may be required to process personal data in order to provide feedback, process applications and process third part compensation claims. The Council has legal obligations and public duties in this respect and under article 6 and 9 of the GDPR the information can be processed

Information we may collect

We will collect personal information about you, that will include:

  • Details about you, such as, your name, address, telephone number, email address, date of birth and vehicle insurance details.
  • In some instances for example the processing of third party compensation claims we may collect information relating to medical conditions.

We will use this information to process your complaint, enquiry, compensation claim or to help in an application submitted for a highways related service.

Do I have to provide this information, and what will happen if I don’t?

In order for us to be able to respond to your enquiry or to process an application for a service we will require the information requested. If  the information is not provided we may not be able to progress the enquiry.

Who will your information be shared with?

Your information will only be shared with officers who may have an involvement in progressing an enquiry or with relevant statutory authorities or other necessary organisations for compliance and monitoring purposes as necessary.

Where we are required to share your information with authorised partner organisations, we will ensure this is done in a secure manner, and the information is proportionate in order for them deliver services.

We make every effort to keep all the personal data we hold secure, whether held electronically or as paper copies. We also ensure that only members of staff with a legitimate reason to access your information have permission to do so.

How long will you keep this information for?

Your information will only be kept for a specific period of time after which it will be securely destroyed. The timeframe for holding data is different depending on the purpose for which the information was collected and processed. Please see What we do with your data for the council's full retention schedule.

How will my information be stored?

All information is securely stored electronically on Liverpool City Council’s secure network.

Source of the data if we are recipient and hold it for others

Not applicable.

Will this information be used to take automated decisions about me? 


Will my data be transferred abroad?


What rights do I have when it comes to my data?

You have a number of rights that are set out on the How to access your data page of this section.

Where can I get advice?

View our Help and advice page for more information.