Bins & Recycling
What goes in my bins?
You can recycle the following items in your blue bin or recycling bag. Please place all items loose in the bin - do not put them inside plastic bags:
- Glass (leave lids on glass jars and bottles).
- Cans (do not crush).
- Paper, magazines, newspapers, junk mail, catalogues, phone directories and wrapping paper (non-plastic/metallic).
- Envelopes (including plastic windows).
- Cardboard food boxes and egg cartons (flattened).
- Cereal, cardboard packages (remove plastic padding) and food boxes.
- Toilet or kitchen roll inner cardboard.
- Plastic drinks bottles (keep lids on, do not flatten).
- Plastic shampoo and cleaning bottles.
We will not empty bins or recycling bags which contain the following:
- Black bag waste.
- Plastic bags, cling film or plastic padding.
- Metal objects, shredded paper or polystyrene.
- Juice cartons (Tetrapak).
- Food or liquids.
- Yoghurt pots, plastic tubs or food trays.
- Textiles, clothes and shoes (take clothes and bric-a-brac to your local charity shop or recycling bank).
- Paint tins (donate leftover paint to your local community repaint scheme).
- Electrical items (take these to your nearest recycling centre or arrange a Bulky Bob collection)
You can place the following items in your green bin:
- Grass cuttings, hedge clippings, dead plants and weeds.
- Cut flower and shrub prunings (woody waste).
- Bark, leaves and small twigs.
- Branches no larger than 7.5cm or 3 inches in diameter.
We will not empty bins which contain the following:
- Stone, concrete, timber or builder’s waste.
- Glass, plastic, metal, paper or cardboard.
- Plant pots, soil or turf.
- Household rubbish and food waste (food such as vegetable peelings can make good compost).
Your purple bin is for household and food waste, and items which cannot be recycled or put in your green bin or compost. Please note: you cannot put electrical items in your purple bin - please book a Bulky Bob collection or visit your local Household Waste Recycling Centre to dispose of electrical goods.