Houses in multiple occupancy
Consultation on proposed selective licensing scheme
We are consulting on a proposed selective licensing scheme for private rented housing in Liverpool in 2021. The scheme would cover areas of the city that have high levels of privately rented homes and acute problems with complaints.
Find out more and comment
HMO licence guidance
Changes to HMO licence conditions from 1st October 2018
From 1st October 2018, the licensing conditions for houses in multiple occupancy are changing. This means that:
- the storey-height criteria will no longer apply
- any property with five or more people who form unrelated households, and share amenities such as a kitchen or bathroom, must have an HMO licence. Find out more about the new legislation.
New regulations have also been added which state that minimum bedroom floor sizes must be as follows:
- for a child under 10 years of age - 4.64m²
- for any single person over 10 years of age - 6.51m²
- for two people - 10.22m²
Landlords must also provide facilities where tenants can store waste while waiting for scheduled council refuse collections. Find out more about the new regulations.
If you rent rooms in a multiple occupancy home the property must meet the required health, safety and welfare standards for tenants.
- HMO licence conditions
- Guidance on standards and management of HMO properties
- Lacors fire safety guidance
- Landlords guide to fire risk assessment in residential properties
- Guide for landlords of HMO properties in the Dales roads, L15
- Houses in multiple occupation and residential property licensing reform - guidance for local housing authorities (GOV.UK)
- Private renting - a landlord's safety responsibilities (GOV.UK)
- Reducing the risks - the housing health and safety rating system (GOV.UK)
Help and advice
We can only provide advice and guidance over the phone at the moment. The charge for this service is £81.30 per hour. Please contact email@example.com to arrange an appointment.
Do not delay making an application for a licence while waiting for this service.