Licensing and permits

Do I need a selective licence?

There is an area of Liverpool where privately-rented properties must have a licence. Use the postcode look-up below to see if your property is in the area where a licence is needed.

This address is in the selective licence scheme area. You will need a licence. Apply for a selective licence

This address is not in the selective licence scheme area. You do not need a licence.

My property is in Liverpool, why isn’t it showing?

Occasionally properties within the Liverpool boundary may not appear in the dropdown list in the look-up. This may be due to:

  • the postcode being entered incorrectly
  • the address displaying differently - for example flats numbered 1,2,3, instead of A, B, C 
  • our records being out of date

Please look right to the end of the dropdown list for your address. If you still cannot see it, contact us via our LAR portal and we will be happy to help. If you are experiencing problems registering for or logging into LAR please email us at or call us on 0151 233 3055.

Why are addresses outside Liverpool not found?

The postcode look-up will only find Liverpool-based properties.

If you don't know which council boundary your property is in, check if the council tax bill is issued by Liverpool City Council. Failing this, if the property has a purple general waste bin it will be in the Liverpool boundary.

Why can I see commercial premises?

The postcode look-up contains all buildings in Liverpool. We have left commercial premises in the look-up as some properties are mixed-use buildings.