Make a complaint about a councillor

Breaching the code of conduct

Complaints alleging that councillors have breached their Code of Conduct must be made to the Monitoring Officer Daniel Fenwick (see below) who will review it along with an Independent Person. An Independent Person is someone who is recruited by the Council but is not a Councillor.

They will then decide whether any action should be taken and if the matter should be referred to the Complaints Sub-Committee.

How to make a complaint

Read our privacy notice which tells you how we use your data.

Make a complaint online

Or write to The Monitoring Officer, Daniel Fenwick, Liverpool City Council, Cunard Building, L3 1AH.

If you would like further information or to discuss the matter with Daniel Fenwick, the Monitoring Officer, before making a formal complaint, please email or one of our Deputy Monitoring Officers - Linda Jones or Michael Jones

What should I include when making a complaint?

You should say which councillor you are complaining about and why you think they are in breach of the Code of Conduct. Include as much information as possible to support your complaint, including any documents which you would like us to consider.

Please make sure you read the complaints criteria before submitting your complaint.

How will my complaint be dealt with?

If the Monitoring Officer in consultation with the Independent Person find that your complaint is valid, they will try to achieve an informal resolution to it which is acceptable to you.

If this is not possible, the matter can be referred to a Complaints Sub-Committee set up by the Council to hear complaints against Councillors.