The full list of standards the property must meet

An Accommodation Certificate can only awarded to your property if it:

  • Is free from category 1 hazards (as defined but the Housing Act 2004) including: Damp and mould growth, excess cold, fall risks, fire risks, electrical risks, risk of entry by intruders, asbestos, carbon monoxide, gas.
  • Has adequate lighting, heating and ventilation.
  • Has satisfactory facilities for preparing and cooking food, including a sink with a satisfactory supply of hot and cold water.
  • Has a suitably located water closet for the exclusive use of the occupants.
  • Has a suitably located fixed bath or shower, and a wash hand basin all of which must have a satisfactory supply of hot and cold water.
  • Has an effective system for the draining of foul water and surface water.
  • Is structurally stable.
  • Is capable of accommodating the applicant(s) without causing overcrowding.

All rented properties

All rented accommodation should have a current gas safety certificate (Gas Safety Installation & Use Regulations 1998).

All Houses in Multiple Occupancy must also have a properly working fire detection and alarm system that covers the whole building.

Is your property licensed?

If your property is let to at least five tenants who form more than one household and share a toilet, bathroom or kitchen facilities the property must have an HMO licence, or an application for one must have been made.

If you live in a privately rented property that does not fit the description above, the property must have a Landlord Licence.

Please check if your landlord is licensed using the link below, selecting the 'Licence Register' tab and then the 'Selective Licensing' option from the 'Licence Type' dropdown menu.

Check if your property is licensed