Moving traffic offences
Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) cameras have been installed at a number of locations in Liverpool as part of new enforcement powers to help reduce congestion, improve air quality and road safety, and encourage sustainable travel.
The new powers, as set out in Part 6 of the Traffic Management Act (2004), allow local authorities to penalise poor driving habits which previously could only be enforced by the police.
Examples of moving traffic offences
Moving traffic offences include:
- making banned turns
- driving through a ‘No Entry’ sign
- driving in a route for buses and taxis only
- driving through a school street, pedestrian and cycle zone
- entering a yellow box junction when the exit is not clear
Will I be fined?
In the six months following each camera being activated, first-time offenders will be sent a warning letter but if they carry on ignoring driving restrictions they may be issued with a penalty charge notice (PCN) for £70, reduced to £35 if paid within 21 days of issue.
Where are the city centre cameras?
Enforcement will start in the city centre from Monday 20th November 2023 at:
- Lime Street from London Road: no motor vehicles, except for buses, taxis and access 24hrs/7days a week
- Ranelagh Street at Brownlow Hill: no U turn on Ranelagh Place 24hrs/7days a week
Further ANPR cameras will become operational in mid-December 2023 at:
- Whitechapel Cross Crosshall Street: yellow box junction, 24hrs/7days a week
- New Quay/Chapel Street: yellow box junction, 24hrs/7days a week
- St Annes Street outside the Fire Station: yellow box junction, 24hrs/7days a week
- Georges Dock Gate/ St Nicholas Place: yellow box junction, 24hrs/7days a week
Cameras will also be in place at Lime Street between Skelhorne Street and St George’s Place to enforce the bus-only route in the New Year.
School street cameras
Two school streets for Greenbank Primary School and Much Woolton Primary School will become operational in early 2024 at:
- Arlington Avenue from Greenbank Road and Arlington Avenue from Nicander Road
- Watergate Lane from Woodrock Road and Watergate Way from Priorsfield Road