In-year school transfers
An in-year transfer is when a child moves from one school to another during the academic year because:
- you move house, either within or into Liverpool.
- you want your child to change schools for other reasons.
How to apply
Transferring from one Liverpool school to another Liverpool school
If you wish to move your child from one Liverpool school to another Liverpool school please speak to your child's current school.
They will liaise with the school you are hoping to transfer your child to.
New to the city or transferring from another local authority school
If you are moving to Liverpool or you want to move your child to a Liverpool school from another local authority, apply online.
You should also follow this process if you have elected to home educate but you now want your child to attend a Liverpool school.
How long will it take?
Under the School Admissions Code we must request background reports on a child’s attendance, attainment and behaviour from their current or previous school.
This means that the minimum processing time for an application is 20 school days. We do not process transfer requests during the school holidays due to schools being closed. Please bear this in mind before you call for an update on your application status.
We do chase applications on a weekly basis where the schools do not respond to the local authority within the stated timeframe.
- Read more about primary in year transfers in our coordinated admission arrangements document.
- Read more about secondary in year transfers in our coordinated admission arrangements document.
- Letter about in year applications for admission to year groups 10 and 11.
- In year Fair Access Protocol.