Births, marriages, deaths

Corrections to information after registration

If a birth, death, marriage or civil partnership has been registered and you later discover a mistake in the information you provided to us, you will need to apply for a correction to be made.

This may include, for example, recording the wrong parental occupation when registering a birth or an incorrect date of birth or death.

For further information on what errors can be corrected and what evidence is needed, visit the following information pages on GOV.UK:

Corrections to birth registration

Corrections to death registration

Corrections to marriage or civil partnership registration

How much?

A charge of up to £99 will be payable to update or change information, depending on the error. In some cases it will not be possible to change the information recorded.

How to request a correction

In the first instance, please contact us to let us know what needs correcting and we will let you know if it's something we can do, or if you need to apply to the General Register Office.

Please note, if you need to make a change to a birth certificate due to the marriage or civil partnership of the natural parents, or to record the father's name, please see the process for re-registration.