Re-register a birth
You can apply to re-register a birth if the father is not listed on your child's birth certificate or if the child's natural parents get married or form a civil partnership after the birth.
How to re-register
Re-register a birth following marriage or civil partnership of natural parents
When you have completed the LA1 form, send it to Liverpool Register office with the following evidence - supporting documents must be originals, which we will return to you once the re-registration has been processed:
- certified copy of your child's full birth certificate
- your marriage or civil partnership certificate
- any documents asked for in section 5 of the LA1 application, and
- if the child or a parent is deceased, the death certificate, if available.
Re-register a birth and add the natural father's details
When you have completed the GRO 185 form, send it to Liverpool Register office with the following evidence - supporting documents must be originals, which we will return to you once the re-registration has been processed:
- certified copy of your child's full birth certificate.
Where to send applications
When you have completed the application forms and gathered your supporting documents, you can post them to:
Liverpool Register Office
St George's Hall
St George's Place
Or you can hand them in at our reception desk in St George's Hall.
How much will it cost?
The re-registration process is free of charge.
New birth certificates at the time of the re-registration are £11 each.
Can I change my child's name when I re-register?
You cannot change the forenames of the child when you re-register. The surname can be changed providing the new surname is the same as one of the parents or a combination of the parents surnames. You do not have to change the child's surname if you do not want to.
How can I change my child's forename?
A child's forename can only be changed on the birth certificate if the child:
- has been baptised with the new forenames within one year of the date of registration.
- has not been baptised - the new forenames must have been used within one year of the registration. You may be asked to provide evidence of the name being used.
The cost is £40 plus £11 for a new birth certificate. Please contact us for more information.