Environmental health

Industrial pollution - Environmental permits

If you operate an industrial process that falls under schedule 1 of the Environmental Permitting Regulations 2016 you will need to apply for an environmental permit. There are three classes of permits specified under this schedule.

Environmental permits

Part A1 permits

These are regulated by the Environment Agency and cover industries that are considered to be the most polluting. Industries such as large scale power stations, chemical works and pharmaceutical production fall under this category. A1 premises are regulated for emissions to air, land, water and other environmental considerations such as noise, vibrations, waste and energy usage.

Part A2 permits

This category is regulated by the council and seen as a medium risk to the environment and human health. If you operate a galvanizers or large scale pottery, for example, you may be regulated as an A2 premises. A2 premises are also regulated for emissions to air, land, water and other environmental considerations.

Part B permits

Seen to be lesser polluting, these industries are only regulated for emissions to air. Industries such as cement batching plants, coating material manufacture, animal feed manufacture and vehicle refinishers will fall into this category.

All industries that require a permit are published in the council’s regulated list of prescribed processes.

Charges and how to apply

The government has not increased the fees and charges applicable under the LAPPC and LA-IPPC schemes for 2022/2023. The existing schemes (2017) will remain in place until they are revoked and replaced.

You can download these below or find out more about Part A2 fees or Part B fees on the GOV.UK website.

Please contact us to request an application form. Please provide your email and telephone number. Forms are available for the following:

  • A2 forms: Application, surrender, transfer and variation forms
  • Part B forms for most installations, dry cleaners, service stations, vehicle refinishers
  • Part B surrender and transfer forms (including fixed-term transfer for mobile plant)
  • Part B variation form

Application forms and payment should be sent by post to the address listed in the forms pack.

Permitted industrial processes

The permitted industrial processes regulated by Liverpool City Council under the Environmental Permitting Regulations 2016.

How to pay

Pay online

Please note that you will need the application reference number to hand.

Alternatively, you can send a cheque made payable to Liverpool City Council. Please write the application reference number on the back of your cheque and send it to:

Licensing and Public Protection
Cunard Building,
Water Street,
L3 1AH.

How long will it take?

We should be able to determine an application for a Part B or A2 process within four months of the application being duly made.

Applications for dry cleaners and waste oil burners will take three months.

Tacit consent

Tacit consent does not apply. It is in the public’s interest that we process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us.

Failed application redress

An applicant who is refused an environmental permit may appeal to the authority. In England the appropriate authority is the Secretary of State. Appeals must be lodged no later than six months from the date of the decision.