Apply for a Temporary Event Notice (TEN)

You will need to apply for a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) if:

  •  You wish to lawfully carry out licensable activities at premises which do not have a premises licence or club premises certificate; or
  • The activity or the times at which it is to be carried out are not specified on an existing premises licence or club premises certificate.

Licensable activities (subject to certain exceptions) are:

  • The sale and supply of alcohol.
  • Regulated entertainment (i.e. music, singing or dancing).
  • Provision of late night refreshment.

We advise you to read the guidance notes before you apply as they give detailed information about the licensable activities, exemptions and process and will help you make a valid application.


The application fee for a TEN is £21.

When to apply

The timescales for applying for a TEN are set by legislation. If you don’t apply within the following timescales, we will reject your application and there is no process of appeal.

  • Standard TEN: You must apply at least 10 working days before the start of the event.
  • Late TEN: You must apply at least 5 working days before the start of the event.

The working days’ notice does not include the day we receive the notice, the day of the event, weekends or any bank holidays.

How to apply


  • Your application will automatically be sent to the Licensing Authority, Merseyside Police and Environmental Protection.
  • You will be directed to our payment system to make your payment.

Apply online for a Temporary Event Notice 

By post

Download the TEN application form.

  • Send two copies of your application to the Licensing Authority with a cheque made payable to Liverpool City Council.
  • Send one copy to Merseyside Police.
  • Send one copy to Environmental Protection.

Addresses are provided in the guidance notes.

Application approval

Only Environmental Protection and the police can object to a TEN.

If we receive a relevant objection there will be a hearing to determine the outcome.

We would contact you directly in this case. If we don’t receive an objection, your application is automatically approved and we will send you one copy of your TEN and an acknowledgement.