Children and families

Children at risk

Report a child at risk

If you are a member of the public and have a concern about a child at risk please contact children's social care on 0151 459 2606.

This process is for members of the public to raise a concern about a child at risk. If you are a healthcare worker, GP or other professional raising a concern, follow the MARF referral process for professionals.

If a child is at immediate risk of harm and an urgent response is required please contact the police on 709 6010. Dial 999 in an emergency or where there is any indication a criminal act has occurred.

When to report a concern to us

You should report your concerns if you feel that:

  • A child needs protection – if a child is suffering harm, neglect or abuse, we can investigate and act to protect them.
  • A family is under stress – we can offer support and advice and help families access support from other services.
  • A child is seriously ill or disabled – we can arrange an assessment of the child’s and families needs and provide support.

Report a concern about an adult who works with children

If you have concerns about an adult who works with children and believe they may have caused, or could cause them harm, please contact us.

Our Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO) is responsible for coordinating a response to any concerns you report to us.

Although our LADO works in children’s services, they also give advice and guidance to employers, organisations and other individuals in Liverpool. In the first instance, please contact us and tell us you require LADO advice.

Liverpool Safeguarding Children Partnership

Find out what we are doing in Liverpool to protect children and improve their wellbeing by visiting the Liverpool Safeguarding Children Partnership website. The site has information and guidance for:

  • Professionals working with children and young people.
  • Parents and carers.
  • Young people.