Free early learning for two year olds

Who qualifies for a free place?

Your two-year-old will get 15 hours free early education each week, for 38 weeks, if you receive:

  • Income Support, income-based Job Seeker’s Allowance or income-related Employment Support Allowance
  • Universal Credit based on an annual combined income of £15,400, after tax
  • tax credits with earnings of no more than £16,190 per year, before tax
  • the guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
  • support through Part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act
  • Working Tax Credit four week-run on

A two-year-old may also qualify for a free place if he or she:

  • gets a Disability Living Allowance
  • is looked after by the local authority
  • has left care under a special guardianship order, child arrangements order or adoption order
  • gets support from the Home Office under Section 4 of the Immigration and Asylum Act
  • has leave to remain in the UK with no recourse to public funds on family or private life grounds
  • can live in the UK because their main carer is a British citizen or Zambrano Carer

Check who qualifies

Use GOV.UK’s online tool using the button below to check if you can get help with childcare costs.

Check if you can get help with childcare  

How do I find a place?

To find a local approved nursery, playgroup, childminder or school that offers free places, you can:

Proofs you must give

A childcare provider must see evidence of your child's date of birth and proof that they qualify for a free place, such as:

  • an Income Support letter
  • a Tax Credit Award Notice
  • an Asylum Seekers NASS card

What providers are approved?

All approved providers must:

  • be registered with Ofsted
  • be inspected against the Early Years Foundation Stage Regulatory Framework
  • have signed Liverpool’s Early Years Funding Agreement