Communities and safety

Domestic abuse and violence

The UK government's definition of domestic abuse is 'any incident or pattern of incidents of controlling, coercive, threatening behaviour, violence or abuse between those aged 16 or over who are, or have been, intimate partners or family members regardless of gender or sexuality. The abuse can encompass, but is not limited to psychological, physical, sexual, economic, emotional'.

Who to call for advice

In an emergency dial 999 for immediate assistance.

You can call 999 without speaking, then pressing 55 or tapping or coughing into the phone. This will enable police to respond.

Local support agencies

The organisations below will offer you support and keep your personal information safe. You may also be able to ask for an interpreter if you need one. Please ask the organisation about their privacy policy and interpreter services.

Liverpool Domestic Abuse Services

Domestic abuse support for women and girls. Drop in, referral and outreach services.

Merseyside Domestic Violence Service

Services for women, men, families, children and young people, including help with domestic abuse and stalking.

Paul Lavelle Foundation

Support for men in domestic abusive relationships.

Rape and Sexual Abuse (RASA)

Professional counselling and support service to improve the mental and physical wellbeing of individuals impacted by sexual violence at some point in their lives. Support for women, men and children. Also support offered from an ISVA: Independent Sexual Violence Adviser.

Ruby Project

Domestic abuse support for women.

Savera UK

Honour-based abuse and harmful practice specialist.

South Liverpool Domestic Abuse Services

Support women across the South and South Central area of Liverpool.

Victim Support Merseyside

Free and confidential support for people affected by crime and traumatic events.

National support agencies

24-hour national free helpline

Freephone, 24-hour National Domestic Abuse Helpline for women and children.

Ask for ANI at a pharmacy #youarenotalone

If you are experiencing domestic abuse and need immediate help, ask for 'ANI' in a pharmacy that has the 'Ask for ANI' logo on display. 'ANI' stands for Action Needed Immediately but also sounds like the name Annie. They will offer you a private space, provide a phone and ask if you need support from the police or other domestic abuse support services.


Support for LGBT victims of domestic abuse.

Karma Nirvana

Support for victims of honour-based abuse and forced marriage.

Men's Advice Line

A confidential helpline for male victims of domestic violence and abuse. Whether you are in a heterosexual or same-sex relationship.


The Respect Phoneline provides confidential advice for people who are abusive and/or violent towards their partners.

  • Freephone: 0808 802 4040 Free from landlines and most mobile phones.

Women's Aid

If you are being abused or suffering indirectly as the result of abuse a child or family member.

  • Freephone 24-hour helpline: 0808 2000 247