Hygiene in food outlets
Licensing and Regulations portal offline
The Licensing and Regulations portal for reporting issues and applying for landlord licences is currently unavailable. We are investigating this fault and hope to be back online as soon as possible. Apologies for any inconvenience.
Report a food product issue
Before you make a complaint
Before reporting an issue, please take a look at common food complaints we receive which do not pose a health risk, along with our suggested course of action.
We cannot get a refund for your food or seek compensation on your behalf. Instead, we suggest you:
- return the food to the shop, speak to the manager and ask for a refund
- contact the manufacturer and ask them to investigate - their contact details should be on the package
If you want to claim compensation we recommend you seek legal advice or contact Citizen’s Advice Liverpool.
When we investigate
We only investigate a food complaint if the food product:
- has caused injury or has the potential to cause injury to a person
- is unfit and forms part of a larger batch or consignment
- will impact people on a local, regional and national basis
- provides enough evidence to take formal action - for example, if we can prove a foreign body was in the food when you bought it.
Make a complaint
If your food complaint presents a serious health risk and meets the ‘When we investigate’ criteria above, you should:
- keep the food, wrapping, labels and receipt safe
- store perishable foods in the fridge or freezer
- keep the food in its original container, where possible
You must also be prepared to give a witness statement and attend court if we do decide to commence legal proceedings.
To complain online using the button below, you will need to create an account. Once you have logged in you will need to use the 'Request' option to report your issue.
What happens next?
If we think we have grounds to investigate, we will get in touch with you.
If we do not contact you within seven working days we have chosen not to investigate your complaint and you can dispose of the food item or take your own civil action.
Further help and advice
If you need further help, please contact us using the button below. You will need to create an account, log in and use the 'Request' option to submit your question.