Homeless or at risk?
Coronavirus update - Housing Options service
For safety reasons we are limiting face-to-face contact. Please submit an online referral or call 233 3061. If you already have an open case with us, please email HousingOptionsService@liverpool.gov.uk or call 233 3044.
Emergency legislation to suspend new evictions has been extended until August 23rd 2020. Find out more on GOV.UK.
At our Housing Options service, based in St John’s Market, we may be able to help you if you are legally homeless. Legally homeless may mean:
- you’ve been evicted
- you can’t get into your home, for example, your landlord has locked you out
- it’s not reasonable to stay in your home, for example, if you’re at risk of violence or abuse
- you’ve had to leave your home because of a flood or fire
To get help from us, you must also qualify under immigration rules - this means that you must be:
- a British or Irish citizen
- an EU citizen working in the UK or with the permanent right to live in the UK
- allowed to claim benefits in the UK if you are from outside the EU
What support might I get?
Help ranges from advice and information, to a personal housing plan or longer-term housing support.
As well as looking at whether you are legally homeless and meet immigration rules, we will look at three other conditions when deciding how we can help you. These conditions are set by the government.
1. If you, or some you live with, have a priority need, for example:
- you or someone you live with is pregnant
- dependent children live with you - under 16s or under 19s if they’re studying full-time
- you’re vulnerable, for example as a result of old age or disability, physical or mental ill health
- You have previously been in care, served in the armed forces or have been in prison.
2. If you’re homeless through no fault of your own - you were not evicted because of criminal behaviour, or failing to pay rent or a mortgage, or you did not leave you home when you could have stayed.
3. If you have a connection to Liverpool - you live or work in Liverpool, or you have family here.
How to find usHousing Options
First Floor of St John’s Market
St John's Precinct
Opening times and appointments
We are open Monday to Friday 9-5pm. Please arrive by 4pm to be seen that day.
You can also visit any other One Stop Shop outside of the city centre to book an appointment with Housing Options.
In an out-of-hours emergency
If you have had to leave your home and cannot wait until Housing Options is open, please call Careline on 0151 233 3800 (Freephone 0800 731 6844).
If we have a duty to, Careline will arrange emergency accommodation and an interview with Housing Options the next working day.
When you visit us
Please bring information that supports what you tell us. This might include:
- proof of identity or immigration status
- an eviction notice
- proof of any medical conditions
- a GP’s letter that proves you are pregnant