Employment checks

Certain checks will be made if a role involves working with children or vulnerable adults, or to check if you have the right to work in the UK.

Disclosure and barring checks

We carry out disclosure and barring checks to ensure we make safe appointments to all posts that involve working with children or vulnerable adults, successful applicants will undergo a criminal records check.

Details of whether or not the post you are applying for is subject to disclosure will be outlined on the job description and personal specification. 

If a post is subject to disclosure, you will need to give details of all ‘spent’ and ‘unspent’ convictions and cautions on your application form.

Types of disclosure

There are two types of disclosure:

  • Standard disclosure for positions involving regular contact with children or vulnerable adults. It reveals details any convictions, cautions, reprimands and final warnings the applicant has received.
  • Enhanced disclosure for positions involving greater contact with children or vulnerable adults, for example, teachers, nurses, midwives, doctors etc. As well as conviction details on the standard disclosure, the police will if any additional information be added to the disclosure (for example, information about an ongoing criminal investigation involving the applicant).

Can I still apply for a job with the council if I have a criminal record?

Yes.  Having a criminal record will not necessarily bar you from working for us.  This depends on the nature of the conviction and the circumstances and background of your offences.

For more information visit the Disclosure and Barring Service website.

Right to work checks

There is a legal obligation to ensure that all new employees are eligible to work in the UK. 

We will request proof of evidence of your eligibility to work at the interview stage. We will only accept those documents which are listed in the legislation.

For more information on asylum, immigration checks and working in the UK, visit the UK Visas and Immigration pages of the gov.uk.