Parking, roads and travel

Public rights of way

What is a public right of way?

Public rights of way are open to everyone at any time and give you the right to walk across certain routes such as roads, paths or tracks, which may run through towns, remote countryside or private property. Some rights of way are open to horse riders, cyclists and motorists.

Report a problem using a right of way

If you have a problem using a right of way, such as an obstruction, poor maintenance or a misleading sign, please contact us.

Make a claim for a public right of way

If you have been stopped from using a route which you believe you should have access to, please contact us to discuss any potential claim.

Rights of Way Improvement Plan

The Rights of Way Improvement Plan is a 10-year strategic plan adopted jointly by the council and its five neighbouring Merseyside authorities.

What is a definitive map and statement?

It is a legal record of the public rights of way and shows the routes of each public footpath and bridleway in the city. You can view a copy of the map below, or view the original map and working copies by appointment at Cunard Building, Water Street. Contact us to book an appointment

Register of definitive map modification order applications

The council must provide a register of definitive map modification orders. There are three types of modifications:

  • Deleting the public right of way from the definitive map.
  • Adding a public right of way to the definitive map.
  • Altering the status of a public right of way already recorded e.g. footpath to bridleway.

The following registers are scanned PDF documents and are not web accessible. Please contact us if you need to view an accessible version.