Submit a planning application
We encourage you to apply online via the Planning Portal. This ensures you are prompted to answer only questions relevant for your application type.
You can submit a range of consents online as well as multiple consents, for example, full planning consent and listed building consent.
Before you apply
- Have you checked if you need permission for the work you’re doing and if you need multiple consents?
- Do you know what supporting documents and plans you need to supply?
- Do you know how much you need to pay?
Once you’ve done the above, you can apply online via the Planning Portal.
You’ll be prompted to sign in or register for an account. Once registered you can:
- Select and complete the relevant forms.
- Attach supporting documents and plans.
- Pay the application fee online.
You can save your work and break away at any time. As soon as you submit your application you’ll get a reference number and we receive an email notifying us so that we can begin to process it.
We deal with applications within the statutory period of eight weeks for minor applications, 13 weeks for major applications and 16 weeks for applications accompanied by an Environmental Impact Assessment.
See ‘What happens after I’ve submitted a planning application’ for more information.
Other ways to apply
If you can't apply for a particular application or consent online, or prefer to use a paper form, please refer to our forms and checklist page or .
This lists application forms, help text and validation requirements for each application type.