Tree Preservation Orders

If we believe certain trees or woodland contribute to the local environment, we can protect them with a Tree Preservation Order (TPO) and you’ll need our consent to carry out any work to protected trees.

If a tree is dead or dangerous, you don’t need to apply for consent, but you’ll still need to contact us to prove that the work falls within an exemption.

Find out if your tree is protected

If you’re not sure if a tree is protected, contact Planning Services to find out before carrying out any works.

Works to trees covered by a TPO

You’ll need written consent from us to do any of the following works to a protected tree:

  • cutting down
  • topping
  • lopping
  • uprooting

Where we agree that pruning or removal is allowed, the TPO means we can control these actions and arrange for new planting to replace trees which are removed, if necessary.

Works to trees in conservation areas

Trees in conservation areas are also subject to protection, even if they’re not covered by a TPO. You’ll still need to apply for consent, giving six weeks’ notice, before you carry out any of the above works – this gives us the opportunity to consider whether an order should be made to protect the trees.

Check if your property is in a conservation area by using our postcode lookup.

Enter a postcode of a Liverpool building or address:


Apply for consent

If you wish to carry out works to trees that are subject to a TPO or notify us of works to trees in a conservation area you can:

You can:

Make sure you include the relevant documents and plans with your application:

Request a copy of a TPO

You can request copies of Tree Preservation Orders from Legal Services for £25 each.  If you know the TPO reference, please call 0151 233 0468.

If you don’t know the TPO reference, please contact Planning Services in the first instance.