Children at risk

Report a child at risk

If you are a member of the public and have a concern about a child please contact Careline on 0151 233 3700 or Merseyside Police on 0151 709 6010 or 999 in an emergency.

You should report your concerns if you feel that:

  • A child needs protection – if a child is suffering harm, neglect or abuse, we can investigate and act to protect them.
  • A family is under stress – we can offer support and advice and help families access support from other services.
  • A child is seriously ill or disabled – we can arrange an assessment of the child’s and families needs and provide support.

Referrals by professionals

In an emergency

Call the Police on 999.

Other concerns about a child

Please read the Responding to Need Guidance and Levels of Need Framework to decide whether your concerns should be logged and discussed with your manager.

If you are a professional with an urgent child protection concern and need to tell us about it, please make an immediate referral by calling Careline on 0151 233 3700.

You will then be asked to follow up your call by submitting an online Multi-Agency Referral Form (MARF) using the button below. You will receive an automated acknowledgement once the MARF has been successfully submitted which will include a unique reference number.

Please note you will not be able to submit a MARF until all mandatory fields have been completed.

Submit a MARF online

Report a concern about an adult who works with children

If you have concerns about adult an who works with children and believe they may have caused, or could cause them harm, please contact us.

Our Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO) is responsible for coordinating a response to any concerns you report to us.

Although our LADO works in children’s services, they also give advice and guidance to employers, organisations and other individuals in Liverpool. In the first instance, please contact us and tell us you require LADO advice.

Liverpool Safeguarding Children Board

Find out what we are doing in Liverpool to protect children and improve their wellbeing by visiting the Liverpool Safeguarding Children Board website. The site has information and guidance for:

  • Professionals working with children and young people.
  • Parents and carers.
  • Young people.