Benefits and support

Appeals for Housing Benefit, Council Tax Support and Discretionary Housing Payments

If you don't agree with a decision we have made about your claim there are a number of things you can do.

  • Ask us to explain the decision. We can send you a written statement of reasons, which is a more detailed explanation.
  • Ask us to look at the decision again. If we are wrong, we will change the decision.

You must do this within one calendar month of the date you receive the decision letter.

Make sure you:

  • tell us what decision you are appealing against
  • explain why you think the decision is wrong
  • include any further information you want us to consider

We will extend the one-month timeframe where you have asked us for a 'statement of reasons'.

For example, if it takes us seven days to issue it, we will extend the appeal deadline by seven days.

If you wish to speak to someone in person, please visit any of our One Stop Shops.

We have facilities for the hearing impaired. If English is not your first language we will arrange for translation into another language.

What happens next?

Appeal process for Housing Benefit

If we look at the decision again and do not change it, we will send your Housing Benefit appeal to the HM courts and Tribunal Service, along with the reasons for our decision.

They will send you a form to complete and return within 14 days. If they don’t receive the form your appeal will stop.

Appeal process for Council Tax Support

If we have looked at the decision again and you are not satisfied, you have two months to appeal directly to the Valuation Tribunal Service.

You can complete the online Valuation Tribunal appeal form or write to them at Hepworth House, 2 Trafford Court, Doncaster, DN1 1PN.

Appeal process for Discretionary Housing Payments

If we have looked at the decision again and do not change it, our decision will be final. You cannot appeal to the Tribunals Service.