Guidance for manufacturers and producers

Do I need approval?

If you are manufacturing food that is made from raw minced meat, raw meat preparations, raw meat products, live bi-valve molluscs, fresh fish, raw milk, dairy products and eggs for the sale to other retailers, you may need to apply for approval.

Do I need to register?

If you are manufacturing low risk products, for example, crisps, or confectionary you will need to register your food business.

Advice and guidance

For advice and guidance about manufacturing and producing foods, visit the Food Standards Agency website.

Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point System (HACCP)

In addition to meeting certain structural requirements your premises will need to have a Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point System in place in order to be granted approval.


My HACCP is a free web tool that will guide you through the process of developing a food safety management system based on Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) principles.   My HACCP is aimed at small food manufacturing businesses; this is likely to include businesses with fifty or fewer employees. 

The Food Standards Agency website provides information on the Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) system in meat establishments.

Further help and advice

If you need further help, please contact us using the button below.

You will need to create an account, log in and use the 'Request' option to submit your question.

Make a food hygiene enquiry