Guidance for retail shops

Do I need to register?

Yes. If you are operating a retail outlet such as a butchers, bakers, fishmongers or convenience store, you will need to register your food business with the council.

You must do this 28 days before opening your business to allow sufficient time for us to carry out a food inspection.

Advice and guidance

If you are starting a food business, the Food Standards Agency website provides a wealth of information and advice.

They have also developed an information pack for food retailers which you can download from their website 'Safer Food Better Business for Retailers'.


Butchers and people working in butchers' shops should also refer to specific guidance from the Food Standards Agency to help recognise food safety risks, develop procedures to manage food safety, and keep food safe.

Further help and advice

If you need further help, please contact us using the button below. You will need to create an account, log in and use the 'Request' option to submit your question.

Make a food hygiene enquiry