Christmas and New Year opening hours at Central Library
- Tuesday 24th December - 9am-4pm
- Wednesday 25th and Thursday 26th December - closed
- Friday 27th December - 9am-5pm
- Saturday 28th December - 9am-5pm
- Sunday 29th December - 10am-5pm
- Monday 30th December - 9am-8pm
- Tuesday 31st December - 9am-4pm
- Wednesday 1st January 2020 - closed
- See the famous collections of rare books housed in the magnificent Hornby Library and Oak Room.
- View the impressive Picton Reading Room, one of the most beautiful libraries in the world.
- Study our unique and rare archives from the 13th century to the present day which tell Liverpool’s story.
- Visit Disabled Go for disabled access details for Central Library.
Find out about the full range of services we offer below.
What's on in Central Library?
Our local studies collection and Search Room with books on all aspects of Liverpool's history are located in the 'Archive' area.
Discover for children
A space to discover books with an area for under 5’s too. Free computers for school work or having fun. Storytelling and events also take place here.
15,000 rare books
15,000 rare books in the Hornby Library, Oak Room and Picton Reading Room.
Deli Marche Café
Enjoy the views from the terrace overlooking St John’s Gardens along with a Costa coffee, light bite or scrumptious cake.
Need to hire a meeting room?
Looking for the perfect venue for your meeting? All three of our partitioned meeting rooms are soundproof and can be configured to your specific requirements.