Planning & building control
Planning for businesses and professionals
We can offer a comprehensive service to existing businesses and potential investors to help you realise your aspirations for development within Liverpool.
The following does not give a definitive source of legal information but will help guide you through the process. If you have any questions, please contact us.
Preparing an application
The Planning Portal for professionals provides information and guidance about the planning process for businesses and professionals who represent them. It is a good place to look before you decide whether you need to submit a planning application to us.
Find an agent
You will need a professional agent to submit your application and represent you, unless your application proposal is very simple and you have access to the required technical drawings and documents.
We can't recommend an agent, but the websites of the main professional bodies provide a list of their members.
You might find it helpful to look at the quality of application submitted by the agent you are considering, particularly in relation to Liverpool. You can search all previous planning applications under an agent's name via our Search and track applications page.
The following websites may help you to identify an agent:
- Planning Consultant Directory.
- Architects Registration Board.
- Registered Chartered Architects.
- Chartered Institute or Architectural Technologists.
- Royal Chartered Institute of Surveyors.
We offer a pre-application service for businesses. This means you will be allocated a dedicated planning officer who will guide you through the pre-application process and provide support when you need it.
The fee payable depends on the size and complexity of the proposal. You can also view the scale of fees.
Further information about the pre-application process and the benefits it can offer to your business is also set out in our pre-application discussions guidance note.
How to access this service
Help from Liverpool in Work
Liverpool in Work can advise and support your business with the social value section on your planning application. At some stage in your application there will be key objectives and priorities which will include:
- development of workforce and apprentices
- engaging with the local supply chain, work placements and recruitment of local labour
- linking with local schools, colleges and community organisations and much more.
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0151 233 1933.
Where appropriate, we offer a development team approach which outlines our commitment to you and is designed to:
- Encourage pre-application discussions as a crucial element in delivering major regeneration projects.
- Provide an established timetable identifying key dates and timescales in the handling of major planning proposals.
- Involve council departments and key external consultees.
- Set out the responsibilities of both the council and the developer.
- Encourage consultation with the community and Members at an early stage in the development process.
- Establish a process for the case officer to manage the development project and resolve any potential problem areas.
You can read more about the development team approach in our guidance note.
Our business charter sets out our commitment to businesses in Liverpool outlining the standards you can expect to receive from the Planning Team.
We have consulted with the business community to find out what you would like to see in the charter, if you have any further comments about the charter please contact us.