Planning and building control

Report a planning breach

Planning enforcement deal with cases where development has been carried out without permitted development rights or planning permission, unauthorised advertisements, tree protection, and non-compliance with conditions attached to planning approvals.

Make a complaint

If you are concerned about a development near you which you think does not have planning permission, please tell us. Read our local enforcement plan for details of how we deal with any complaints we receive:

You can submit an enquiry via our Licensing and Regulations portal (LAR).

Please note you will need to sign in or create an account. Once you have logged in select 'Submissions' from the left-hand menu, then 'Submit enforcement'.

Once we have registered your complaint, you will receive a complaint reference number.

Sign in to LAR - Planning

Don't have an account? Register now.

Read our privacy notice which tells you how we use your data.

Enforcement notices

There are legal documents which can be served on people who have built something without the required permissions. A notice could:

  • Stop or prevent an activity.
  • Request the removal of an unauthorised building or extension.
  • Ask for a development to be changed to make it more acceptable.

Enforcement notice appeals

Anyone receiving an enforcement notice can appeal to the Planning Inspectorate.

Guidance about making an appeal against an enforcement notice is also available on GOV.UK.

If you want to know more, please contact us and we'll put you in touch with the Enforcement Team.