Professionals: Adult social care referrals, resources and training

Report an incident

If you are a contracted service provider working on behalf of the council, you must report any incidents which pose a risk to service users, staff or members of the public.

Being made aware of incidents means we can offer the appropriate support and resolve issues. This may include alerting other stakeholders, facilitating enquiries and managing publicity, as required.

You must notify us as soon as possible, within 24 hours of the incident.

Type of incidents to report

This is a broad area, and you should refer to your own risk management policy. But you must report incidents of the following nature:

  • Serious crime, violence or threats to service users, staff or members of the public.
  • Death or serious injury within in the service.
  • Unexpected emergency admission to hospital.
  • Housing management incidents that lead to a serious disruption of services, including fire, flood or power failure – and those which lead to the building being unoccupied.
  • Communicable diseases.
  • Any other incident which stops you from providing your contracted services

Before you start

Include as much detail as possible, following the process in your risk management policy for describing and reporting incidents. If you are regulated by the CQC you must also notify them of the incident.

Report an incident

What happens next?

The incident report will be screened by Careline and a copy of the report will be sent to the quality assurance and safeguarding team for monitoring.  If the incident involves a service user open to a social work team, then a notification of the incident will be sent to the relevant social work team.    If further information is required, a social worker, commissioner or member of the quality assurance and safeguarding team will contact you.

If you wish to discuss any aspect of this incident reporting procedure, email the council’s Quality Assurance and Safeguarding Team at