Application maintenance notice
Due to essential maintenance, our benefits application system will be unavailable on Sunday 26th January from 9am-3pm. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
Council Tax Support
Council Tax Support helps you pay some of your Council Tax if you are on a low income or claiming certain benefits.
Can I claim?
You can claim whether you own your home or rent, or whether you’re working or unemployed.
To qualify, you must be:
- on a low income
- the person responsible for paying the Council Tax
How much am I entitled to?
The amount you get will depend on your age, income and savings, who else lives with you and which benefits you receive.
The maximum amount of Council Tax Support you can receive is:
- 91.5% of the Council Tax bill if you are of working age
- up to 100% of the Council Tax bill if you are of pensionable age
We will let you know what your actual award is once we have processed your claim.
How to apply
You can apply online for Council Tax Support.
Things we need to know when you apply:
- National Insurance number for you (and your partner if applicable)
- Full name and dates of birth of everyone in your household.
- Your household income, savings, investments and expenses – including things like childcare costs and private pension contributions.
You will be able to upload any evidence whilst making your application.
You can save your application at various stages and finish it later. If you save your details part way through, you will be given a Citizen Access Benefits key code. Make a note of this as you'll need it to log back into your form.
How do I log back in to my form?
Use the 'Apply or login' button above and select 'Retrieve a claim I have started'. You will need to enter the Citizen Access Benefits key code you received when you saved your application.
What happens next?
We will let you know what your award is once we have processed your claim.
If you are not happy with our decision about your claim or you think the information is wrong, you can submit an appeal.
If your circumstances change
If your circumstances change please tell us as it could affect what you are entitled to.