Marriages and civil partnerships

Getting married abroad

If you are a British national and wish to get married or form a civil partnership abroad you may be asked to provide documents from the UK. Use the advice guide on the GOV.UK website to find out which documents you need.

If you need a Certificate of No Impediment (CNI) you must give notice at your local Register Office and produce all relevant documents.

If you need to give your notice at Liverpool Register Office please contact us on 0151 233 3004 to arrange an appointment.

We will need to know:

  • exactly where you wish to be married and the correct spelling
  • how long before your ceremony you must give your notices
  • the length of time the CNI will be valid for in your chosen country

Please note that different countries will impose different validity periods and may require you to give notice within a specific time frame.

Alternatively you may wish to have your legal ceremony here and have a celebratory ceremony abroad.

Already had your ceremony abroad?

If you have already had a legal ceremony abroad and wish to include your friends and family who could not be there with you, why not hold a celebratory renewal of vows ceremony in Liverpool.