Marriages and civil partnerships

Information for non-EU nationals

If either party to the marriage or civil partnership is a national of an EU country and does not have settled or pre-settled status (or a pending application), or national of a non EU country you may be subject to immigration control.

This means you must give your notices together at the Register Office covering the district in which you have both lived for the preceding eight days. If you both live in different registration districts you must give your notices together at either Register Office.

Please note registrars cannot give immigration advice.

What you need to provide

Proof of immigration status

In addition to the documents you need to provide when giving notice, you must provide evidence of your immigration status:

  • Marriage or civil partnership visa.
  • Proof of settled, pre-settled or pending EUSS status.

If you do not have the correct proof your marriage must be referred to the Home Office, who may decide to extend your notice period for 70 days if they wish to investigate further.  The marriage or civil partnership cannot take place until approval is granted by the Home Office.

If you wish to marry or form your civil partnership in Liverpool, we can’t confirm a date for the ceremony until we receive Home Office approval.


Both parties will also need to provide a colour photograph at the time of giving notice unless proof of settled status is provided. Each photograph must be a UK passport style and size and meet the following criteria:

  • It should clearly show your face with a neutral expression.
  • You must not be wearing any head covering (other than for religious or medical reasons).
  • You must be photographed alone with no other person or object in shot.
  • It should be unmarked, unaltered and without tears or creases.
  • It must be a recent photo and show a current likeness.


The cost of giving notice if you are subject to immigration control is £57 for each party (£114 per couple).

If you have a divorce document that was granted outside the British Isles a further fee of £55 will be payable. If the divorce requires authority of the Registrar General the fee will be £83. The additional fees are payable at the time of your appointment and we will be unable to proceed until the fee is paid, and your marriage cannot take place. All documents must be accompanied by a written translation into English.

For further advice please visit the Gov UK website.

Book an appointment

Once you have all the relevant documentation, you can book an appointment online:

Book an appointment to give notice of marriage

Book an appointment to give notice of a civil partnership

Abuse of immigration laws

We are working with the UK Border Agency to identify marriages and civil partnerships which seek to abuse UK immigration laws.

Anybody found to be arranging, facilitating or entering into a marriage or civil partnership solely to gain permission to stay in the UK risks arrest or prosecution.

Foreign nationals may also face deportation and be barred from re-entering the UK for up to 14 years.