Coronavirus update - Personal licence applications
We cannot accept personal licence applications by post at present. Instead, we are asking customers to scan or photograph all pages of your completed application and email them to us at BusinessSupportPP&L@liverpool.gov.uk. We will process your application and email your personal licence number to you.
Apply for a personal licence
A personal licence authorises a specified person to supply alcohol or allow the supply of alcohol at a premises which has a valid premises licence. This includes pubs, off licences, restaurants and hotels.
A personal licence is valid until it is surrendered, suspended or forfeited – even if it has an expiry date on it. You don’t need to renew the licence.
Who can apply?
We can only grant a licence to applicants who live within the Liverpool boundary. If you work in Liverpool but live elsewhere you’ll need to apply to the licensing authority where you live.
You must provide proof that you have the right to work in the UK and are not subject to a condition preventing you from doing work relating to the licensable activity - this is applicable to all applicants, including those born in the UK. If you do not submit your proof document or share code, we cannot process your application. Acceptable forms of proof are included in the application pack below.
How to apply
1. Pay first
You must pay the fee of £37 before submitting your application. You can do this online below or call 233 3015 to pay over the phone. You must make a note of your receipt or reference number as you will need to include this on your application form.
2. Download and complete the application pack
The application pack includes the application form, guidance on acceptable forms of proof of the right to work in the UK, and the disclosure of convictions and civil immigration penalties declaration (dccipd) form.
Along with your completed application form (with the payment receipt number clearly marked), you’ll need to include:
- Two photographs of you (one must be countersigned as a true likeness)
- Your disclosure of convictions and civil immigration penalties declaration form.
- Your original licensing qualification
- Your original Disclosure and Barring Service form
- A copy of your proof of right to work in the UK document, or share code.
3. Post your completed application pack
Send your completed application form and required documents (listed above) to: Licensing and Public Protection Services, Cunard Building, Water Street, L3 1AH.
If the chief officer of police for the area where the premises is situated believes that granting the application would undermine the crime prevention objective, they must inform us within 14 days. We will then hold a hearing to determine the notice given by the police.
If we don’t receive a notice, your application is automatically approved. We’ll send you a confirmation letter instructing you to make an appointment to come in and collect your licence.
Change of name or address, or if your licence is lost or stolen
You must tell us of any changes in writing and pay £10.50 for a replacement licence.
- Pay the fee online or call 0151 233 3015 to pay over the phone. You will be given a payment receipt number.
- Email us at: BusinessSupportPP&L@liverpool.gov.uk or write to us at: Licensing and Public Protection Services, Cunard Building, Water Street, L3 1AH and include a scan or original of:
- Your current card and paper licence.
- Your payment receipt reference number.
- Name change: a marriage certificate or certified copy.
- Address change: a recent utility bill in your name and sent to your new address.
- Lost or stolen licence: details of what happened and return any parts of the licence that you still have.
Once we’ve received your email or letter, documentation and payment we will send you a replacement licence.
If you've been found guilty of a criminal offence
It is your responsibility to inform the Licensing Authority if you have been found guilty of a criminal offence. Email us at: BusinessSupportPP&L@liverpool.gov.uk or call 233 3015 and inform us of the details and we will advise you accordingly.