Licensing and permits

Apply for a personal licence

A personal licence authorises a person to supply alcohol or allow the supply of alcohol at a premises which has a valid premises licence. This includes pubs, off licences, restaurants and hotels.

A personal licence is valid until it is surrendered, suspended or forfeited – even if it has an expiry date on it. You don’t need to renew the licence.

Who can apply?

We can only grant a licence to applicants who are over 18 and live within the Liverpool local authority boundary area. If you work here but live in another local authority area, you’ll need to apply to the licensing authority where you live.

You must provide proof that you have the right to work in the UK and are not subject to a condition preventing you from doing work relating to the licensable activity - this is applicable to all applicants, including those born in the UK. If you do not submit your proof document or share code, we cannot process your application. Guidance on the acceptable forms of proof is provided below.

Application guidance

This guidance includes information on the application fee and submission requirements, application approval process and Licensing and Public Protection training opportunity. Read this before you apply to help with your application.

How to apply

1. Pay first

You must pay the fee of £37 before submitting your application. You can do this online below. You must make a note of your receipt or reference number as you will need to include this on your application form.

Pay online

2. Download and complete the application pack

This application pack includes guidance on acceptable proof of right to work in the UK, the application form, and the disclosure of convictions and civil immigration penalties declaration (DCCIPD) form.

Along with your completed application form (with the payment receipt number clearly marked), and the DCCIPD form, you’ll need to include:

  • A copy of your proof of right to work in the UK document, or share code (do not send your actual passport or ID card)
  • Your original licensing qualification
  • Your original Disclosure and Barring Service form, dated within 31 days of your application submission
  • Two passport size photographs of you (one must be signed as a true likeness)

3. Submit your completed application pack

Send your completed application form, DCCIPD form and required documents (listed above) by scanning or photographing them and email to BusinessSupportpp& Ensure that the file sizes of attachments does not exceed 10MB. If it does, please submit as separate emails.

Email is our preferred option, but you may post them to: Licensing and Public Protection Services, Cunard Building, Water Street, L3 1AH.

Application approval

If the chief officer of police for the area where the premises is situated believes that granting the application would undermine the crime prevention objective, they must inform us within 14 days. We will then hold a hearing to determine the notice given by the police.

If we don’t receive a notice, your application is automatically approved. We will send your personal licence documentation by recorded delivery as soon as it is processed.

Change of name or address, or if your licence is lost or stolen

You must tell us of any changes in writing and pay £10.50 for a replacement licence.

  1. Pay the fee online. You will be given a payment receipt number.
  2. Email us at: BusinessSupportPP&L​ or write to us at: Licensing and Public Protection Services, Cunard Building, Water Street, L3 1AH and include a scan or original of:
  • Your current card and paper licence.
  • Your payment receipt reference number.
  • Name change: a marriage certificate or certified copy.
  • Address change: a recent utility bill in your name and sent to your new address.
  • Lost or stolen licence: details of what happened and return any parts of the licence that you still have.

Once we’ve received your email or letter, documentation and payment we will send you a replacement licence.

If you've been found guilty of a criminal offence

It is your responsibility to inform the Licensing Authority if you have been found guilty of a criminal offence. Email us at: BusinessSupportPP&L​ or call 233 3015 and inform us of the details and we will advise you accordingly.