Council Tax

Update your Council Tax if someone has died

If someone in your household has recently passed away you must tell us. You can do this in any of the following ways.

If you haven’t registered the death yet

When you register a death, the registrar will ask if you would like to use the Tell Us Once service. This means you can report a death to most government organisations and council departments in one go. Find out how to access Tell Us Once.

If you have already registered the death but did not use the Tell Us Once service, please contact us.

If the death means you are now the sole occupant

You can apply for single person discount and notify us of the death at the same time.

You’ll need your Council Tax account number to hand, which is on your bill.

Follow the process for applying for single person discount on this page.

We will process the change immediately and you can view your revised bill via your online account.

Don’t have an online account? Find out how to set one up.